Be the Change celebrates Eid

Anna-Marie DiPasquale

Be the Change Club members celebrate Eid together.

On Monday, May 9, Sadaf Khan and a few others in Be the Change Club held an Eid Party after school in the Orange Carpet Area.

Eid al-Fitr, meaning “Holiday of Breaking the Fast,” is one of the two major holidays celebrated in Islam. It falls on the first day of Shawl on the Islamic Calendar.

People also refer to the holiday as Lesser Eid or just Eid.

Delicious Eid treats were brought in by students. (Anna-Marie DiPasquale)

Eid focuses on giving back to people who may be needy or poor. Traditionally, in a Muslim household, people cook and make a bunch of different types of snacks and desserts to share with their whole neighborhoods.

“You guys are very lucky that we can celebrate with all these foods here, because others don’t have what we have,” said Abu Ahmed.

Some people celebrate with only bread and water.

Abu and another CHS student, Samir Emkic, brought up the idea of having an Eid celebration at Concord High through Be the Change.

Students who are Muslim brought in food to share and played various games as well.

The celebration was a great opportunity for non-Muslims to see a little bit of the culture and share Eid with others.

“I’ve always wanted to have an Eid party, so this is great,” said longtime Be the Change Club Advisor Anna-Marie DiPasquale.

DiPasquale puts a lot of work and effort into the program and really cares about her students and the people in the club. She has given students great chances to spread their culture and let their voices be heard around Concord as well.