Buy tickets now for spring musical Once

Clint Klose

Students rehearse on set Wednesday, May 4

Tickets are selling fast for Concord High School’s annual spring musical, Once, which opens Thursday, May 12, for a three-day run.

The easiest way to secure a seat is to order a ticket online. Tickets cost $15 per adults and $12 per student/senior. Remaining seats will be sold at the door.

Evening shows Thursday, Friday and Saturday begin at 7 p.m. There is a 2 p.m. matinee on Saturday, May 14.

All performances will take place in Christa McAuliffe Auditorium.

Once tells the tale of a Dublin street musician who is on the verge of giving up on his dream of music when a beautiful young woman develops an interest in his love songs. Their relationship develops along with his music.

“I truly think Once is a show for everyone. Not only are there fun, upbeat, silly moments, there are also intimate and powerful moments that are incredibly special,” said freshman Thuy Schmitz, cast in the role of Reza.

“As a whole, it’s something new that not a lot of people have seen, where the cast is also the band/orchestra,” said senior Ryley Nash, who plays Andrej. “I think that will have people even more drawn in because there’s even more to experience in front of them.”

“I think the audience members will enjoy that this is a mature production, and doesn’t pull any punches for the sake of being ‘family friendly.’ It allows the delivery of jokes and such to be much more authentic and relatable,” said sophomore Taylor Minery, who performs in the ensemble with seniors Kate Langille, Bailey Kirn and Karl Surmanis.

Jake Orlen and Laura Houle play the lead roles of Guy and Girl. Fellow senior Chris Renaud plays the Bank Manager.

Other actors include freshman Gavin Johnson as Eamon, senior Benny Pham as Da, freshman Myrick Oxnard as Baruska, junior Ryder Fisk as Svec, senior Angela Vasquez as the Ex-Girlfriend, junior Caleb Jackson as Billy, and freshman Sarah Malette as Emcee.

“I think audience members will enjoy the feeling of being a part of the show. Once is a beautiful story and the music is very intimate. It makes the audience feel like they are there with the cast,” said Johnson.

“Once is a show full of many different themes such as love, hope, and dealing with the past, and more,” said Nash. “One of my favorite things about the show is how it has super upbeat, fun songs and emotional ballads as well. It’s a show that will leave people feeling many different emotions, which I think is incredible. We have one big number at the end of act one to the song ‘Gold,’ which is super powerful and beautiful, and I think that will definitely be one of the most, if not THE most, enjoyable part of the show.”

Songs include “a few hilarious numbers with some (intentional) off-key screeching,” Oxnard pointed out. “Rehearsing for Once has made my spring semester really fun in a number of ways. I’ve met some awesome people who I wouldn’t have otherwise met. I’ve learned a lot about acting, and I’ve really enjoyed rehearsing. It’s going to be such a good show, I can’t wait!”

Once opened on Broadway in March 2012. Original creators were composer and lyricist Glen Hansard, composer and lyricist Marketa Irglova, and librettist Enda Walsh.

Concord High’s Drama Club, also known as CAST, provides students several opportunities each year to act, dance, sing and develop technical skills.

“The CHS Drama department gives us the opportunity to have fun and explore a new side of the arts world, whether that be on stage or behind the scenes,” said Kirn, choreographer for the CHS show. “I am a senior this year and I am going to be majoring in musical theatre at college in New York City next year. I owe a lot of thanks to our drama club because of the community that we encourage. College prep is a stressful time, especially if you are going into the performing arts, and having such a supportive ‘theatre family’ to be there for you makes a huge difference.”

Nash is another person who plans to keep acting. “It’s been one of my biggest interests since I was a kid. I’m already doing another show this summer, and hopefully there will be many more opportunities after that.”

CAST has enjoyed a busy year between senior-directed one-act plays in November and participation in New Hampshire Educational Theatre Guild festival activities earlier this spring. CHS students performed When She Had Wings at Pinkerton Academy April 1 and 2.