Golf for a cause

Allan Wolf Photography

Jonathan Stallsmith and Erika Mattson, Class of ’12, catch up at the very first tournament in 2019.

The CHS Legacy Foundation, established in 2019 in honor of former Concord High School principal  Gene Connolly, will hold its third annual 18-hole tournament Saturday, Aug. 14, at Beaver Meadow Golf Course.

Online registration (at https://www.chslegacyfoundation.com/register-to-play) ends Aug. 4 at midnight. The cost, including lunch, is $150 per player or $600 per team. Check-in Aug. 14 begins at 7 a.m. Play starts at 8 a.m.

Organizers are also looking for volunteers to help with the event, and are hoping to engage CHS students, parents, teachers and alumni.

The CHS Legacy Foundation works to raise money for a scholarship in Connolly’s memory for graduating seniors at Concord High School.

Winners of $1,000 scholarships this year were Allison Childs and Raoul Kahurwa, whose awards were announced Tuesday. Last year’s winner was Saeeda Khan.

Zach Philippe ’09, Pat Boudreau, Casey Delia ’09 and Mitch Philippe ’10 (Allan Wolf Photography)

According to the foundation website, students who receive the Legacy scholarship have “performed well academically, shown a strong interest in community, and will continue their education to help advance their individual goals. We all have the ability to leave a legacy. It takes dedication and courage, and someone who is passionate about making a difference. This student embodies those characteristics.”

Connolly was principal at CHS for fourteen years before retiring in 2016 due to ALS. In 2014 he was named High School Principal of the Year. He died in August 2018.

“As a teacher and principal, Gene was dedicated to the success of all his students,” the CHS Legacy Foundation website states. “He aimed to create a welcoming and inclusive environment. He was an active, beloved leader and left a lasting impression on not just the students he taught, but on the teachers and community. He was an integral part of Concord as a whole.”

CHS alumna Jenn Brown, treasurer of the group, said last year’s golf tournament raised $6,000 between 80 players and 19 sponsors.

Neil Tollner checks his shot (Allan Wolf Photography)

Sponsors for 2020 included Binnie Media, Keeler Family Realtors, Heritage Helps Foundation, Purple Finch Productions, Grappone Automotive Group, Wireless Zone, Checkmate Pizza, Concord Craft Brewing, Irish Electric, Merrimack County Saving Bank, Flux + Flow Professional Coaching, New Hampshire Financial Services, Strive Indoor Cycling, Sonder Media, Constantly Pizza, GZA, The Common Man, Olympia Sports, Sport Clips, The Hotel Concord, Wine on Main, Margaritas, Cheers, Tandy’s and T-Bones.

Businesses and organizations interested in sponsoring this year’s event can do so online at https://www.chslegacyfoundation.com.

So far returning sponsors include Binnie Media, Keeler Family Realtors, Heritage Helps Foundation, Grappone Automotive Group, Checkmate Pizza, Merrimack County Savings Bank, Flux + Flow Professional Coaching and Irish Electric. New sponsors include Bellman Jewelers, Legacy Financial Group and 360 Intel.

Casey Delia ’09, Zach Phillipe ’09, Pat Boudreau and Mitch Philippe ’10 (Allan Wolf Photography)

Besides Brown, the CHS Legacy Foundation board of directors includes secretary Meagan Ferns, members Paul Hrycuna, Phoebe Story and Brittany Zankowski, president Matthew Knee and vice-president Chris Mahon.

The foundation also operates a network for all Concord High School alumni interested in supporting and serving as resources for each other and for  current CHS students. “Think LinkedIn, but with a more personalized approach and focused geography,” its website says.

“Whether you’ve been out of high school for one year or twenty, you can provide valuable insight (and maybe a connection or two) to help current students and other alumni,” the network description continues.

“Current CHS students seeking insight or guidance can reach out directly to an alum [who] attended a college or university they’re considering, has a career in a field they’re interested in, or simply may have similar experiences growing up and going to school in Concord.”

Students interested in getting involved or who have questions should email Brown at [email protected].