Concord High School, Concord, New Hampshire

The Crimson Review

The Crimson Review

Community Cycles hosts 1st Annual Bike Art Show

CHS students and staff bike as weather improves

Community Cycles, a project-based learning program through the Diploma Academy, has created a new way of celebrating the warmer, sunnier days: a Bike Art Show.
And while this is the first year Diploma Academy organizers are holding the Bike Art Show, they hope to make it an annual tradition.
The purpose of the event is to encourage the community to get active, physically and creatively. “May is National Bike Month, so we want to promote cycling,” said Carol Lundin, Diploma Academy and Adult Education coordinator.
“It’s all connected to Community Cycles where students learn how to repair and redo bikes while earning community service and credit and a bike.”
The program is accepting art work of all types and awarding prizes in three categories: 3D sculptures; drawings, painting, print, and digital design; and photography.
Staff and faculty are encouraged to participate but they are not eligible to win prizes, which will include gift certificates. All prizes will go to students.
“We want to incorporate more of CHS. Maybe there are people who are creative but don’t ride who will enter,” Lundin explained. “People who enjoy riding bikes might take a risk and be creative for the Art Show.”
Submitted artwork will be on display during 8th grade Parent Night May 22, so families will be able to view and vote for their favorites.
The deadline to submit bike art to the Diploma Academy is Monday, May 19, at 6 p.m. Chosen pieces will be displayed May 21-23.