Concord High School, Concord, New Hampshire

The Crimson Review

The Crimson Review

International Night planning underway

New American students at CHS share the art of henna painting

International Night is a huge event at Concord High School. Students, parents and faculty get to learn and share knowledge about diverse cultures and lifestyles of New American students and their families.

The celebration,  scheduled for May 30 at CHS, aims to celebrate diversity. It is organized by the Be the Change Club.

“Students will be dressing up in native costumes and will bring different varieties of food from cultures of countries around the world. There definitely will be international dance,” said Jackie Winn, an ELL tutor.

The celebration will starts at 5 p.m. and end at 8 p.m. Everyone will be welcome to attend and participate.

“All we want is gathering students with their families together and having fun sharing each other’s cultural heritage,” said Ghana Sharma, another ELL tutor, ELL math teacher and education coordinator for the Bhutanese Community of New Hampshire, which has locations in Concord and Manchester.

“There will be 100-150 people, or there might be more than that, but everyone is welcome in order to represent their own cultures and keep diversity among people,” said Sharma.

The first International Night was held last year. Again this year, along with food, dancing and henna designs, there will be singing and a talent show.

“The event is free and open to the public. But there is definitely going to be a donation box for those who are willing to help other people,” said Anna-Marie DiPasquale, CHS social worker. “I am already getting started on planning things for the event.”

Local residents are already looking forward to the event. “It will be an honor to be there once again to gather and celebrate,” said Nil Timsina.

CHS students from countries other than the United States will bring different food items of their own and share with everyone. Some Nepali students will also be doing henna design.

Henna designs are widely significant and Indian people believe that henna brings joy and happiness and symbolizes growth and beginnings.

—–

Yadu Neupane contributed to this report

CORRECTION: This report was edited Tuesday, April 29, to clarify how long International Event has been around at CHS. Originally we reported that it has been around for years; actually it began in 2013. Also, the event was organized by Concord High’s Be the Change Club, and not the ELL Department.