Concord High School, Concord, New Hampshire

The Crimson Review

The Crimson Review

U.S. less melting pot than salad bowl

Students head to their next class. (File photo)

The United States of America has seen a large influx of immigrants and refugees over the period of its history. From pilgrims from England to Nepali-speaking refugees from Bhutan, all have come to settle here in a hope for new life.

Everyone arrives ready to take in everything this world power has to offer. Immigrants and refugees bring hope for new lives but also cultural customs and traditions they are more than happy to share with their new (American) friends.

What makes the United States beautiful, and what has earned it the title of “melting pot,” is its accumulation of cultures, language and traditions. But sooner rather than later America might lose its nickname because many new immigrants seem to be holding onto their unique identities.

Walking the hallways at Concord High School, one hears a lot of languages as people communicate with each other and sees evidence of different customs, cultures and traditions.

Even downtown, people hear  Nepali spoken on the street, and probably you would be lying to say you never wonder what that person is talking about. Walking through the city one sees people wearing saaree, daura suruwal (traditional Nepali clothes for men), traditional African clothes and various other items that are so new to the American society.

The United States with its constitution protects freedom of expression. American society has also shown interest in cultures of people migrating to this great nation. For example, the very traditional Holi festival of India, also called the Festival of Colors, is a great celebration in many states.

Contrary to past times when immigrants came and blended into the already existing American culture, now immigrants freely share their culture and traditions while working towards attaining the traditional American dream.
This truly shows that the United States is less a melting pot and more a salad bowl.